Interbank Roundtable Committee - NYC
FINDING OUT MORE?
About Interbank Roundtable Committee
The Interbank Roundtable Committee (IRC) is a voluntary New York based organization whose membership is comprised of representatives from Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Employee/Business Resource Groups (ERGs/BRGs) of financial services organizations. The IRC serves as a forum where members share best practices on workplace inclusion, engaging senior management and straight allies, building ERG/BRG membership, and promoting networking, professional development, and philanthropic activities across the industry. The IRC helps member firms build their professional networks, and promotes the financial services industry as a premier career choice for LGBT individuals.
LBGT employee networks help facilitate workplace equality and social change. The IRC, a network of LGBT networks, strengthens these efforts across our industry thorough resource, idea and best practice sharing, networking, speaker events and community service activities.
IRC member firms strive to offer the most inclusive workplace environments for LGBT employees and to be recognized as employers of choice within the LGBT community. For example, in 2010, Barclays announced a policy change for the tax equalization of domestic partner benefits. Barclays then provided leadership and insight to other member firms, serving as a resource and catalyst to drive similar policy changes with other organizations. By March 2012, 18 of the 27 IRC member firms had implemented and announced this inclusive policy.
IRC BROAD OBJECTIVES:
• Share best practices to advance inclusive LGBT workplace policies
• Leverage our collective voice to increase our impact on our industry and community
• Create a vibrant professional network for participants and ERG members
KEY ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE:
The IRC has organized several large scale speaker events
• Barney Frank, US Congressman
• Christine Quinn, Speaker, NY City Council
• LGBT Heroes: David Mixner and Elizabeth Birch
• Women in Finance: Karen Peetz, Carla Harris, and Jill Schlesinger
• The IRC connects members with not-for-profit organizations that support the LGBT community.
• Volunteered at Ali Forney Center, Sylvia’s Place, Gods Love We Deliver, and Hetrick Martin Institute
- IRC members have already grown their partnerships with these organizations to date.
• Hosted fundraisers for Broadway Cares, GLAAD, and Freedom to Marry ($100K raised to date)
• Marched in the NY PRIDE parade twice with over 100 cross firm representatives at each one
Educated and encouraged each other to promote inclusive workplace policies related to tax equalization, domestic partner affidavits, transgender inclusive health benefits, and self-identification at work. Members share their successes on building ERG membership, engaging senior management and allies, and supporting the LGBT community.